Friday, October 3, 2008

A Different Way To Go

There seem to be a lot of exercise places around now. I don’t go to any of them but I keep seeing different ones whose offerings seem to go a bit past what the local YMCA does. There’s one that caught my eye called La Fitness. I assumed it was from a French exercise conglomerate that was trying to help us be healthy with a Continental flair. Being French, I thought they’d also have some specialty courses you could sign up for that would be unique to their culture. They could teach us things like how to eat a bushel full of croissants without developing carpel tunnel or how to hold our hands and arms up in surrender for hours without strain or muscle fatigue. They would have a class on how to hold our faces in a look of perpetual sneer without having facial tics. And, I thought, they’d have a class on balance and agility for folks who worked their way through multiple bottles of wine with dinner.

I was thinking about other courses they could offer when Chris told me it was actually called LA Fitness, a health spa thing out of Los Angeles that was hyping the idea that if we went in and sweated up we could all look firm and tan and twenty years younger. That won’t help me. Sweating isn’t on my list of things to do, firm lost out to gravity a long time ago, I try to stay out of the sun and twenty years backwards wouldn’t be much of an improvement.

I was a little bummed that it wasn’t the French thing. I was actually thinking about the croissant course

No comments: