Monday, September 29, 2008

Playing Tag

A while ago I wrote about the Powerball lottery. Twice a week I buy a ticket with two numbers. They’re numbers Pat picked out using some mystical numerology consisting of immigration dates, birthdays, etc. She thought these would be better than the Quick Picks I used to get every once in a while. So far they haven’t been and I’ve been doing some thinking about that. It occurred to me I’m taking the wrong approach to keep this fun. I’ve adjusted my thinking.

With most lotteries you get numbers and hope it matches up with the winning numbers. That works well on a Quick Pick where a ticket holder’s numbers are chosen at random. Our numbers, though, are the same every time and I’ve realized we’re on the other side of the game. The Power Ball has to hit us. It hasn’t. Now it’s like playing a game of tag and, so far, I’m not It.

No comments: